The first 2024 Republican primary debate is scheduled for August 23 and there’s already mass frustration and confusion surrounding the event. Rules for the Fox News event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, might guarantee that only a select number of candidates even obtain stage access.
“Low polling support and inability to attract campaign donors could prevent more than half of the announced candidates from making it. The Republican National Committee is requiring that candidates receive contributions from 40,000 unique donors to make the debate, with at least 200 in 20 respective states,” according to Politico.
“Only former President Donald Trump, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Tim Scott, and Vivek Ramaswamy have met the donor criteria. The standards could bar candidates like Mike Pence — himself a former Republican vice president. Candidates also must earn more than one percent support in three recognized polls after July 1,” the outlet added.
Candidates seeking the nomination must additionally pledge their loyalty to the party’s eventual nominee, a requirement that some have flatly rejected.
Former New Jersey GOP Gov. Chris Christie, who is running for president in 2024, is not happy about this.
“I think for those people who don’t make the debate stage, it’s very hard for them to make the case for why they should stay in the race, and I suspect they will have trouble raising money after that,” said Christie, who is still trying to secure the 40,000 donors needed to qualify for the first debate.
Trump’s aides claim that he continues to be averse to taking part in the debate in August and that he sees no need to go on stage to face off against opponents who are doing far worse than him. In addition, they claim that the former president is still angry with Fox News over what he sees as their biased coverage of him.
“Why would I let these people take shots at me?” Trump asked, in an interview
Fox News announced last week that hosts Martha MacCallum and Bret Baier will moderate the first Republican presidential primary debate.
The debate is currently scheduled from 9 p.m. ET to 11 p.m. ET.
The Republican National Committee unveiled details surrounding the first GOP presidential debate.
A press release from the RNC said that a second debate would be held the following day if there are too many qualifying candidates to fit in a single venue.
To qualify for the first debate, every presidential candidate must meet four specific criteria. First, they must meet the eligibility requirements to run for office.
Additionally, they need to have officially declared their candidacy and filed the necessary documentation with the Federal Election Commission (FEC). And they must complete the appropriate forms provided by the FEC, identifying themselves as a candidate and “designating the candidate’s principal campaign committee.”
The candidate must also have a minimum of 40,000 unique donors contributing to their presidential campaign committee. This requirement entails obtaining a minimum of “at least 200 unique donors per state or territory in 20+ states and/or territories,” the press release added.
Candidates must also achieve at least one percent support in three national polls or, alternatively, secure one percent support in two national polls while also receiving one percent support in an early state poll. But, the poll must be deemed appropriate by the Republican National Committee (RNC).
The RNC has provided specific guidelines for qualifying polls, stipulating that the survey must involve a minimum of 800 registered likely Republican voters. The survey should employ various methodologies, ranging from online panels to phone calls, and must be structured in a manner that avoids potential bias.