Fox News continues to crush all cable news programs in the ratings, particularly the hit show “The Five.”
“The Five” was the most-watched program in cable news during the second quarter of 2023, averaging a whopping 2.8 million total viewers to finish as the most-watched show for the seventh-straight quarter. The popular program is now the first non-primetime program to finish No. 1 among cable news for seven consecutive quarters in history.
“The Five also finished atop the advertiser-coveted demographic of adults aged 25-54, averaging 299,000 demo viewers to outdraw everything CNN or MSNBC had to offer regardless of timeslot. While The Five averaged 2.8 million total viewers, CNN’s The Lead with Jake Tapper managed an average audience of only 676,000 during the quarter despite airing in the same timeslot,” Fox News reported.
“Fox News Channel beat CNN and MSNBC among both total day and primetime viewers in all categories for the ninth consecutive quarter. Fox News has dominated among primetime cable news viewers for a staggering 86-straight quarters. Along the way, Fox News was home to the top seven programs in cable news among total viewers and the top eight among the demo,” the outlet added.
“Jesse Watters Primetime” finished as the second highest-rated cable news program with 2.3 million average total viewers. “Hannity,” “Special Report with Bret Baier” and “The Ingraham Angle” joined “The Five” and “Watters” among the top five as Laura Ingraham remained the most-watched female cable news host.
“FOX News Channel has been America’s destination for news and analysis for more than 21 years and we are thrilled to debut a new lineup. The unique perspectives of Laura Ingraham, Jesse Watters, Sean Hannity, and Greg Gutfeld will ensure our viewers have access to unrivaled coverage from our best-in-class team for years to come,” FOX News Media CEO Suzanne Scott announced.
“The Five” has undergone a massive shake-up in recent days.
As longtime host Geraldo Rivera is gone from the program, another top host is teasing a departure of his own.
Popular Fox News host Greg Gutfeld shared big news when he revealed that he’s thought about the idea of taking over the primetime slot that was previously held by Tucker Carlson, who was taken off the air by the network in late April.
“Obviously, it’s crossed my mind,” Gutfeld told The Wall Street Journal in an interview published
Tom O’Connor, the executive producer for “Gutfeld,” said he believes the host would be a perfect fit to take over the 8 PM prime time slot.
“I think he could probably be successful in any of the timeslots,” said O’Connor. “I mean, we were on at 3 in the morning East Coast time when we did ‘Red Eye,’ and people found us.
Gutfeld’s comments came as Rivera announced late last week that he is leaving the hit show “The Five.”
“Morning, it’s official, I’m off @TheFive. My last scheduled show appearances are Thursday and Friday June 29th and 30th. It’s been a great run and I appreciate having had the opportunity. Being odd man out isn’t always easy. For the time being, I’m still Correspondent at Large,” Rivera tweeted.
Regardless of what happens with Gutfeld, it seems unlikely to stymie Fox News’ massive losses in viewership.
Fox News cable news ratings have collapsed in the key 25-54 age demographic after the network took top-rated host Tucker Carlson off the air in late April.
Things have gotten so bad at the network that longtime host Sean Hannity has fallen behind MSNBC’s Joy Reid in the key demo.
Hannity’s primetime show has been feeling the heat since Carlson was abruptly ousted.
Hannity’s show, which got up to nearly 2 million in the final weeks of May, has fallen to around a 1.7 million average in June so far. For comparison, Hannity’s primetime show averaged around 3 million each night before Carlson’s departure.